The main objectives of The Scottish Mathematical Council are to foster and improve mathematical education at all levels, and to encourage the advancement and application of mathematics throughout Scotland. For this purpose the Council collaborates with educational, technological and industrial organisations and undertakes functions such as the following:
- the promotion and co-ordination of conferences, special courses, and instruction and retraining schemes;
- the consideration of factors relating to the supply and deployment of trained mathematicians with special reference to the supply of teachers;
- the giving of advice on curricula, syllabuses, examinations and other subjects of mathematical interest;
- the collection and circulation of information and the publication of reports, articles, and other material of pedagogic interest;
- the setting up of committees to consider and report on special problems and subjects;
- the trusteeship of trusts established for the purposes associated with the objects of the Council;
- the Mathematical Challenge problem-solving competition for primary and secondary school pupils;
- the running of the National Final of the Enterprising Mathematics in Scotland competition.
The SMC Journal is the main instrument for reporting on the above activities. It is published annually and sent to all secondary schools in Scotland and to many interested bodies in the UK and abroad. We also publish the SMC Primary Journal annually.
We are a Participating Body of the Joint Mathematical Council of the UK.
We are delighted to have been recognised as a registered charity by both PayPal & Amazon Smile. This means that we can receive donations through our Paypal account. Further, When you shop @AmazonSmile, Amazon will make a donation to The Scottish Mathematical Council.